The Next Generation Leadership Programme
In view of these responsibilities, orientation and regular skills-building training interventions are required to enable Assembly members perform effectively. It is in this regard that the Institute of Local Government Studies (ILGS) in collaboration with the Agyemang-Prempeh Foundation (APF) is organising the Next Generation Leadership Training Programme for members of the Ahafo Ano North Municipal Assembly (AANMA). This customized leadership training programme is intended to help participants identify the local challenges confronting the municipality, analyse, reflect and propose innovative strategies to address these challenges. It also aims at deepening understanding of the LG system and exposing participants to the emerging roles expected of them. Ultimately, the intervention would enhance competences of participants to enable them perform their envisaged roles and responsibilities effectively.
This prestigious residential programme is scheduled for 23rd – 26th February, 2021. Participants are expected to arrive by 6.00pm on Monday 22nd February, 2021 and depart after breakfast on Saturday 27th February, 2021. The venue is the Institute of Local Government Studies, Ogbojo-Accra and the organisers shall enforce compliance of all COVID-19 protocols.
2. Rationale, Objectives, Outputs and Outcomes
The Next Generation Leadership programme, which is a follow-up activity on the nationwide orientation and training programme of new assembly members aims at equipping participants with the requisite competences to identify local challenges confronting the municipality, analyse, reflect and propose innovative strategies to address these challenges.
The specific objectives are to:
1. Analyse existing challenges and opportunities and propose cutting-edge strategies for the transformational agenda of the municipality
2. Share insights into contemporary issues in Ghana’s decentralisation and local governance system
3. Equip participants with basic skills necessary for effective job performance
4. To provide a platform for participants to build networks and share experience for personal and professional development
5. Set the agenda as well as reach consensus for expediting action on Ghana’s decentralisation and local governance reforms.